Do Mormons Dance?
As a Mormon, you get lots of questions. Do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you swear? To most of those, we answer no. But there is one question we answer with a resounding YES.
Do Mormons Dance?
DO WE EVER!
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, forgetting they are white and middle-aged.
I know what you’re thinking: MAKE IT STOP FOR THE LOVE PLEASE, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!
But despite what you have just seen and what you may have heard about us, we Mormons are actually pretty fine dancers. It’s in our blood.
While crossing the plains from the Midwest to Utah, early Mormon pioneers danced in the evenings as pretty much their only form of entertainment. This will make a lot more sense when you see how we Mormons dance. While Mormon dance moves may not be conventional, they are certainly entertaining.
Here are a few examples of prominent Mormons showing their moves, some with more success than others.
1. Mormon and former NBA forward Mark Madsen dances at the 2001 Lakers World Championship celebration with Shaq and Kobe.
See if you can count the lassos.
2. Jimmer is probably a better dancer than Mad Dog.
3. In 2009, Donny Osmond won “Dancing With the Stars” despite this pose.
4. His sister Marie tried, too, but unfortunately fell short (pun intended and don’t worry she was fine).
5. Even Mormon convert Gladys Knight appeared on the show.
6. Returned-missionary Benji Schwimmer won “So You Think You Can Dance?” while still a practicing Mormon. While trained in ballroom, he showed his versatility with this hip-hop routine:
7. Mormon Chelsie Hightower came close to winning SYTYCD, and has since gone on to appear on seven seasons of “Dancing with the Stars”.
8. But the greatest Mormon dancer of all-time?
Just kidding. It’s baby Ryan Gosling.